Your patient is a 34 yo man who has a painful left knee after “twisting” it during a basketball game.
= small vertical avulsion injury of the lateral aspect of the proximal tibia immediately distal to the tibial plateau, at the site of attachment of the lateral capsular ligament
Mechanism: axial load on a semiflexed knee, with internal rotation and varus stress
Why is it important?
It is associated with:
– anterior cruciate ligament tear in 75% to 100% of cases!
– meniscal injury 67% to 75%
– secondary anterolateral rotatory instability of the knee
– a haemarthrosis is commonly present
– the bone fragment located on the lateral edge of the tibial condyle, best visualized on the anterior-posterior view
– elevation / ice / crutches / knee immobilization
– Orthopaedics referral